Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

An Entirely Crap Bit of News

paige
Paige
1992 - 2006


When I was leaving my parent’s house the night before E and I left the country, as I was scratching Paige in the same way I have when leaving my parent’s house for any considerable duration of time since going to boarding school when I was seventeen, I very purposefully told her not to die while I was gone this time. Not even dogs can control those things, I guess. News to me.

George Carlin once said that life is just a series of dogs. I got Paige as a gift from my parents on my fifteenth birthday, about four months after our other dog, a dachshund-beagle mix named Bonnie, died at the age of sixteen. I named her after Jimmy Page because I was fifteen and Hendrix was vetoed by the others present. My mother added an I in order "to make it more like a proper name." There are two dogs currently waiting for me in Ohio (or at least they’ll come home with me when I go to retrieve them; I’m not convinced dogs wait for anything in an emotional sense). Neither of them are named after guitar players (one a song by Mephiskapheles and the other thoroughbred jockey and Saratoga god Jerry Bailey) I got one of those two dogs on my twenty-fourth birthday—by coincidence, not as a gift—when she was one day shy of six weeks old and weighed less than ten pounds. She’s now a few weeks from five years old and just shy of a hundred pounds.

There’s no real narrative here, I just felt incredibly distant and wanted to type something below the photo. And I’m sad and heartbroken and feel a little foolish being so in the face of the world’s larger problems and as a result have no idea what to say. So.

Comments:
Dan,

Both I and my humans are sorry to read of your loss. Paige is a very pretty dog.

A dog human relationship is very special and important. And from my point of view, very emotional. My humans are packin' their suitcases for a road trip and I am very upset. I know they are going and my behavior has changed. I can not settle down and continually want their attention.

Again, we are sorry.

Woof.

Freda
 
God damn it! They're getting past word verification now?!?
 
Oh, and thank you, Freda. Paige was very pretty and will be missed, obviously.
 
Dan,

Losing a beloved pet is awful, no matter what's going on in the world. In fact, I think it's worse to lose a pet when the world is in the shambles, you know?

But what I'm trying to say, in my own lame way, is: your pain is justified, and I wish you well.

bm
 
:-( i'm so sorry. i hope i will see you and E soon.
 
Hi Dan,
I hadn't read this until today and you expressed it all very well. She was a wonderful and loving pet, never demanding anything but our love, and that we certainly gave her. Happy memories! Let the count down continue!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home